Following the findings of the “Progress and Next Steps” project report, the United Seafood Industries Forum was held in Adelaide on the 30th-31st of March. The Forum attendees unanimously agreed that there is a need to develop a new national peak body, and a Seafood Leadership Task Force was established. To read more about the Task Force, check out the Task Force FAQs.
What was the main reason for holding the USI Forum?
To get the input of commercial business leaders from across the seafood industry on key strategic issues identified in the “Progress and Next Steps” project report. The Forum was an important step to ensure that the national peak body is designed to be commercially relevant to Australian seafood businesses.
Who was invited to the USI Forum?
The following seafood business leaders from across wild catch, aquaculture and post-harvest sectors were invited to attend the Forum:
- Damien Bell, BellBuoy Seafoods
- Peter Bender, Huon Aquaculture
- Anthony Ciconte, Commonwealth Fisheries Association & Southern Shark Industry Alliance
- James Clement, Mareterram
- Bruce Davey, FV Wildcard
- Dallas Donovan, Seafarms Group
- Geoff Ellis, Eastern Zone Abalone Industry Association
- Martin Exel, Austral Fisheries
- Debbie Ferguson, Ferguson Australia
- Horst Fischer, Fischer Wholesale
- Rob Fish, Northern Seafoods
- Doug Gibson, Old Brown Dog Fishing Co
- Norm Grant, Seafood Importers Association
- David Guillot, Corporate Alliance Enterprises
- Tim Hess, Petuna Seafoods
- Karen Holder, DM & KL Holder
- Wayne Hosking, Geraldton Fisherman’s Co-op
- Pheroze Jungalwalla, National Aquaculture Council
- George Kailis, MG Kailis
- Nicholas Kailis, Kailis Bros
- Barbara Konstas, Melbourne Seafood Centre
- Con Liaros, Poulos Bros
- Andy McLaughlin, McLaughlin Fishermen
- Stephen Murphy, Queensland East Coast Trawl Fishery
- Markus Nolle, Victorian Rock Lobster Association
- James Paspaley, Paspaley Pearling Company
- Bill Passey, Australia Bay Seafoods
- Josh Pearce, Sanford Australia
- Clive Perryman, Holcorp Fisheries
- Mark Porter, Petuna Aquaculture
- Arthur Raptis, Raptis
- Bob Richards, Humpty Doo Barramundi
- Stuart Richey, Richey Fishing Company
- Mark Ryan, Tassal Group
- Tony Santic, Tony’s Tuna International
- Sam Sarin, Sarin Group
- Nick Schulz, Urangan Fisheries
- Les Scott, Australian Longline
- Bryan Skepper, Sydney Fish Market
- Hagen Stehr, Stehr Group
- Marcus Stehr, Clean Seas
- Grahame Turk, Small Pelagics Fishing Industry Association
- Katherine Winchester, National Seafood Industry Alliance
- Jonas Woolford, Abalone Industry Association
Is the forum deciding on a structure and funding model for a new peak body?
No. Structure and funding options will be developed afterwards for wider industry input. The forum will be critical in shaping the direction and urgency to form a peak body.
What is the expected outcome of the industry forum?
Confirmation of support to form a peak body and development of a strong process to prepare options and seek input from across the industry.
How can those not attending contribute to the forum?
Help raise awareness about the findings in the Progress and Next steps report by sharing the report with your network and encouraging people to sign up for email updates.
How will I find out about what happened at the industry forum?
News will be posted on the United Seafood Industries website. You can also sign up there to receive our email update immediately afterwards.